Thursday, January 28, 2010

Read Franken-Castle!

Stop what you're doing and go read Franken-Castle.

I know, I know, you don't believe me. "It's just a cheap stunt for sales," you say, "it makes the character too goofy," or maybe, "I remember when they did this years ago and it was shitty then, therefore it'll be shitty now." I thought all those things myself when this Franken-Castle idea was announced, yet I found myself strangely drawn to it, and man, I've never been more proud of my lack of willpower.



The story in a nutshell: Frank Castle is brutally dismembered and left for dead, only to be discovered by an underground civilization of monsters who rebuild and revive our now horribly disfigured hero in hopes that he'll be their new champion against vicious monster hunters.



If that pitch didn't get you, check this out: each issue gets bigger, bloodier, and better with more full on crazy monster-on-monster hunter action that should be legally available.

After two issues of setting up the premise and being pretty alright, the latest issue (which came out this week!) blew me away; it's the most fun I've had in a long time.

It wasn't just Morbius (Monster City's resident vampire/scientist) fighting a steampunk cyborg.



And it wasn't just Jack Russell (of Werewolf By Night fame) facing off against a battalion of pure silver samurai sword wielding Monster Hunters.



Although, It almost was the appearance Giganto (the classic Fantastic Four Monster)... But it wasn't.



Nay. All these things were amazingly awesome, but the thing that really made me fall in love with this book so completely was simply this:



A Manthing/Franken-Castle fastball special.

Sometimes it's the simple things that really make you happy.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and if you're not picking this up, go out and get it, it's a big fun romp that doesn't come along very often and sadly never lasts long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment