Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Bill April 27, 2011

Small weeks mean small preambles. Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?




The Obligatory Review:

The Mighty Thor # 1
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Oliver Coipel

Maybe it was the run up to the new movie, the positive buzz on Matt Fraction, or even the fact that Galactus was promised an appearance in this first issue; whatever it was, I was totally intrigued by this issue. "This one will be different," I thought, "Thor, the way he was meant to be."

It was exactly what I thought it would be, and I can't say that I really liked it.

Thor is a tough sell for me. He lives in a world that's completely separate from mine, speaks in a faux-shakespearean dialect, and just generally leads a life that is such the opposite of mine. Except for the slaying troll part though, because that's totally my Tuesday night.

So this issue - in which Thor dives down the shaft of the world tree Yggdrasil (which, I believe, is the sound I make when I gargle) to find it's seed, fights giant light scarabs, and has implied sex with a feisty yet respectable Lady Sif, all while Galactus speeds towards the Earth - had some awesome things in it, but was ultimately dragged down by the fact it was a Thor book.

Come back when you're more like Thor: The Mighty Avenger.



More Please:

Venom # 2
Writer: Rick Remender
Artist: Tony Moore


This is the book that all Marvel Comics should aspire to: big fun action with a healthy injection of weapon's grade insanity.

Is it clear that I liked this issue? Because I really did. From the opening pages of a crazed Kraven the Hunter riding a dinosaur, to the thoroughly gross and totally Tony Moore character reveal at the end, this one is fast becoming my favorite book of 2011.

Also, I totally expect it to be cancelled with issue 10. Sigh. In the meantime, I suggest any of you who loved anything about FrankenCastle or find yourself strangely drawn to the new Uncanny X-Force book to make it a point to check this one out too. You don't want to miss out on this one, I promise



There you have it. It should also be noted that the FrankenCastle Ultimate Collection came out this week, and you should all buy it. Not just because I'm suddenly in the tank for Rick Remender, but because it's totally awesome. FrankenCastle forever!

1 comment:

  1. The problem with Thor #1 is that, like most of Fraction's run with the character so far, there is damn little Thor so far. It's hard to relate to the character when he's barely in his own book...

    ReplyDelete