Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Bill November 10, 2010

I only had one book come out this week, so you know what that means: Super quick Bill Reviews. Hooray! It's late, let's do this!




The Book of the Week:

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #3
Writer: Allen Heinberg
Artist: Jim Cheung


Has it been two months already? Man, time flies.

Anyway, in this issue the Young Avengers continue their search for the Scarlet Witch and, um, find her. There really isn't that much more to it, unfortunately.

Let's start with the good on this issue: The characters sound right, the art is jaw-dropping, and it's always fun to see the Young Avengers in action. I've said it before, but these kids need a book ASAP. Here's hoping that they still have enough clout a year from now to support an ongoing.

As for the bad, well, let's just say the book was a bit thin for me. I enjoyed some of the interactions between the Maximoffs, but I really didn't need another whole issue of them jawing at each other. I wanted, Nay needed, some action in this sucker. I needed the story to stop dicking around and kick it into a higher gear. Unfortunately what I need and what Marvel publish are on different pages right now.

Sigh.

It's not terrible, it's just a bit slower than it ought to be. It'll be interesting to see how it reads in trade.

Also, I think I've figured out where this mini fits in with continuity (and it may be what's hurting the story in my eyes). From issue one, we could all tell that something wasn't right: Steve was in the Cap uniform, Tony was in his old Iron Man suit, and so on.

This issue has a scene with the Avengers consisting of Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Wolverine, and Luke Cage. From this context clue, I can tell you that this series takes place before Civil War.

Talk about taking a step back, right? That's the nearest I can place it. Suddenly everything makes sense with the costumes and how this book seems to not mention how the characters grew since the last Heinberg mini.

Just throwing it out there. Feel free to email me my no-prize.




And that's all I got. I guess I also bought a trade, but I'm not going to read that tonight. What did you buy this week? Did I miss anything cool? Lemme know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment