Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Bill November 24, 2010

You didn't think the Holidays would keep me from telling you all about the books I got this week, did you? Thanksgiving may be my favorite time of year, but I can ALWAYS make room for some comic talk. Enough talk, let's do this thing!




The Book I'm Most Thankful For:

Thor Mighty Avenger # 6
Writer: Roger Langridge
Artist: Chris Samnee


This book always warms the cold recesses of my heart, it's so sad that it's not long for this world.

I know I already did a 'woe is me my books are being cancelled' post a few weeks ago, but this one's different. This has been the only Thor book that I've liked and actually looked forward to month after month. It's such a pure example of what Thor really is: Just a kid trying to figure out how to make his Dad proud.

In this issue, our favorite Norse God travels back home unannounced in an attempt to force his way through the door. Needless to say, it's the opposite of the lesson he's been sent to learn so he's promptly dispatched. Meanwhile the other half of the issue is dedicated to the end of Thor's epic multi-continent date with Jane Foster. And i'm not afraid to say it, but it made me "d'AWWW" just a little.

Only a little. There was also a fight with a giant dragon, and that was the real reason to check it out.

It'll be sad when you're gone Mighty Avenger, but I wouldn't have traded the time we had together for anything. Thank you for showing me how much fun a Thor book should be.



The New Book I'm Thankful For:

Skullkickers #3
Writer: Jim Zubkavich
Artist: Edwin Huang

What? I don't JUST read Marvel stuff.

I've been looking to pick this book for ages (ie two months), but for whatever reason the stores I've been going to just don't carry it. Finally, one of the stores broke down and ordered it, and man, I couldn't be happier. What a fun book.

From what I can tell, we're mid-mission as a dwarf and bald dude travel to find the corpse of some nobleman, or something, while other factions attempt to stop them. The first few pages are great and set a great tone for the rest of the book. It's quirky, tongue in cheek, and just about as much fun as I've ever seen in a sword and sorcery type book. Now I'm on a mission to find the other few issues so I can collect this series right.

As an added bonus, they've included a stew recipe at the end of the issue, which I am way too excited to try. The last time I tried a comic book recipe was Scott Pilgrim vol 2, and it quickly became one of my signature potluck dishes (It's vegan [but I make it vegetarian] Shepherd's Pie. Que Delicoso!). I'm totally locked in on this series for at least two more issues based solely on that.



Speaking of recipes and food, it's time I left y'all so I can prepare my stomach for awesomeness tomorrow. Y'all have a good holiday (if you're in the states, otherwise you have a better than average Thursday) and I'll see you in a food induced vision later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment