Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Bill September 15, 2010

Another super slow week for me this week. I know, I know, I should almost put this feature on hiatus until I can figure out how to rework it.

But that would be quitting. And momma didn't raise no quitter!

Instead, let's look at what I did get and why I haven't been buying a lot lately (which isn't at all related to lack of work, I promise!)...




Buy of the Week:
Thunderbolts #148
Writer: Jeff Parker
Artist: Declan Shalvey


Man, Thunderbolts is GREAT! Great pacing, great art, great characters, great premise. Even when they have a fill-in artist liek Declan Shalvey, it still looks totally amazing. I wish there was more of it every month, there's just too much story for one book! It also doesn't help when they get pulled into a line wide crossover.

Here's the thing, I love it when my Marvel Universe crosses over with itself; it makes me feel like everything that's happening is real and impactful (which is part of my problem with Young Allies, but I digress). That said, it's weird when I'm not reading the big central story line.

Disassembled, House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Siege; I was in the thick of it for all of those, for better or worse. I felt like I needed to so I could understand the books I love so much. And then there were the smaller events, mainly the X events, that I thought I could ignore and not miss much.

Apparently not so with Shadowland.

It hit me today as I was reading this Shadowland tie-in that Shadowland is actually a pretty big event. So much for it being a small family book crossover, I guess. Or maybe it's my fault for reading a bunch of street level books?

The point is I put together why I haven't been buying so much lately: I'm not buying into the big event. Normally, like with Siege, I bought a good chunk of extra books to keep up, which meant I had more to talk about during reviews. But since I'm not getting this one, suddenly my comic buying has shriveled to it's normal levels, unbolstered by big events.

It makes me feel kinda empty.

So there's the other problem. We're smack dab in the middle of this thing. Do I go buy up all the issues I missed? That seems dumb. The only answer I see is to hold tight for the next big event and never let this happen again. That, or do something really silly like buy something that's not Marvel.

Buy something other than Marvel? I say crazy things sometimes...

Can't wait for Chaos War! WOOO House of Ideas!




Opinions on my little Shadowland rant are greatly appreciated. Am I missing something awesome? Should I be buying it all? I'm thinking I should at least read the Power Man book, if for nothing else than the awesomeness that is Fred Van Lente.

Next week should be back to normal, so instead of reading my rants about crossovers, you can read my rants about hating Bendis. Try not to get too excited in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment