Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Bill September 22, 2010

Finally, this week I had some books come out. Mind you, I couldn't find one of them, but at least the ones I did were interesting. But I'm not going to talk about them.

Nope, instead I'm gonna rag on Bendis. What can I say, I'm a man of my word.




Worst of the Week:
Avengers #5
Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: John Romita Jr.

There are times I wonder if Bendis has ever read a Marvel comic before. I mean, I get that this situation the team is in is totally crazy, but do they all really need to act like amateurs?

It goes like this: WIth half the team in the future (we'll get to them), the other half defends New York City. Or at least their supposed to. Somehow though, they forget how to be superheroes in the face of this latest crisis. When faced with rioting mobs, giant cosmic beings, and other random facilitators of violence, the majority of them stand around with their fingers up their asses.

The Spider-Man I know would be in the thick of the riot, pulling out as many innocents as he could until he physically couldn't and even then he'd find the energy to grab more, instead of the one presented in this issue that stands around talking about how scared he is while asking the others what to do. UGH!

I was a little frustrated, to say the least.



Best of the Week:
Avengers #5
Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: John Romita Jr.

See what I did there?

Okay, so the beginning of this issue aside, it was actually pretty good. The team in the future was presented with a twist that I genuinely didn't see coming along with a pretty cool ending.

This issue seemed like Bendis read my previous reviews and made up for that lackluster third issue by just cramming story into this one. Everything moved at a pretty impressive pace (especially for Bendis) AND shit actually happened. I was totally amazed.

That said, the best thing about this issue had to be the Rip Hunter-esque (yeah, that's right, I made a DC reference. What of it?) diagram of the future. It's really cool, check it out (click it to make it bigger!):



Right? Totes Awesome. I'm gonna digest this and post my theories on it tomorrow, hopefully before places like Robot6 do (they do such a good job on those things... jerks).

Anyway, this issue got me all hot and bothered for the next. Here's hoping Bendis keeps it up, and doesn't fumble the end as he tends to do.




There you have it, my all Bendis Bill. For the record, I also picked up Avengers Academy (totally great!) and the first two issues of the Power Man mini (surprisingly pretty cool), but failed to pick up Skullkickers (sold out). Am I missing out? Lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment