Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Bill September 9, 2010

I don't know what happened this week, but I only had one book come out. It was okay though because the store I went to last week didn't have all the books I wanted, so I was able to make the trip worth my while.

That said, I'm gonna change up the format this week. Come on, let's see what happens...




Best Anthology in a While:
I Am an Avenger #1
Writers: Jim McCann, Duane Swierczynski, Alex Zalben, Chris Eliopoulos
Artists: Chris Samnee, Jason Latour, Tom Fowler, Chris Eliopoulos


When I was bitching about the Age of Heroes anthology weeks ago, this is what I was I wanted that book to be. The stories were meaningful, pointed, and just generally good. Sure, the Pet Avengers and Squirrel Girl stories didn't need to be in there, but the other two totally made up for them.

The first was a fantastic Young Avengers story by Jim McCann (of Hawk and Mock fame) and Chris Samnee (of Thor the Mighty Avenger fame) in which the team gets officially inducted into the ranks of the World's Greatest Heroes. Not only do we get some great interplay, but it also gives us a bit of continuity clean up regarding who gets to keep the name Hawkeye (Spoilers: They both do).

The story was seriously great, and makes me yearn for a YA series written by McCann. He'd be the perfect fit, as he tends to balance that old school adventure feel with great character interaction; a must when it comes to the Young Avengers. Here's hoping he gets the chance once Heinberg is through.

On the opposite side of the emotional scale is Dwayne Swierczynski and Jason Latour's defacto epilogue to The Immortal Iron Fist. As a quick aside, I don't talk about that series nearly enough. I don't know what it is, but those books inspire me and not just the Fraction/Brubaker stuff, as the book really got interesting when Swierczynski came on.

Anyway, the Iron Fist story deals with the unfortunate fallout of Misty Knight's pregnancy. In summary, it didn't go well, so Danny and Misty are taking a break. It was a very touching, personal story that I'm really glad to see, even if it was painful to read.

I'm tentatively considering getting the next issue in this series. I'll keep you posted if I do.




Most LIkely to Get Cancelled:
Young Allies # 4
Writer: Sean McKeever
Artist: David Baldeon


I really really love this book. The characters, the setup, the writing, the art; everything. Unfortunately, that means this book is not long for this world.

It's a pretty solid fact that when I like a book, it gets canceled (See FrankenCastle, but you knew that) and this one isn't going to buck the trend. It's no one's fault, really, it just doesn't have anything in it to jazz up the casual fan.

The character selection is totally off beat and full of characters with potential, but no one that really jumps out. I know Nomad is getting a push in the Captain America books, as is Arana in Spider-Man, but I don't think that's equating into readers. Or at least, not enough. I read it for Gravity (on of the best characters of the 2000s!), but I know he's not the headliner he should be.

As for the story, it's really clever but it lacks resonance because it's not referenced anywhere else in the Marvel U. These new villains showed up and blew up a chunk of Manhattan, but you'd never know if you weren't reading this book. It's a bad sign.

I really want everyone to check out this book. Give it a whirl, I promise you won't be upset. Its got fun lines, great characterization, interesting villains, everything you need for a great book.

Please don't let this one be cancelled. Marvel is already taking FrankenCastle away from me, I don't think I could bear them taking another fun title away....




And on that dour note, I'm off. For the record, the other book I bought tonight was Thor Mighty Avenger #4 which featured a great night drinking with the Warriors Three. Fun stuff and still the best Thor book I've ever read. I'm going to suggest it to everyone before the movie comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment