Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Bill October 27, 2010

I can't be the only one frantically working on a costume for this weekend, can I?

I didn't think so. I don't know about you though, but I could use a break. Care to join me for some comic reviews? Don't worry, you can still sew while you read, I won't mind.




Why Am I Reading This Again? of the Week:

Secret Warriors #21
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artists: Mirko Colak and Alessandro Vitti


Ugh. This book.

I'll be real honest with you, Secret Warriors is one of those titles that I just kind of fell into collecting. I read that first arc and was underwhelmed, but intrigued enough to see where it was going. And that's where I got into trouble.

The problem from the start with this book has been the lack of characterization, and this issue doesn't help matters any. After the team's mission went tits up last issue (they were bombing a stronghold, I think), this issue follows their daring escape resulting in the death of one of their compatriots. A death that's ultimately underwhelming and flat.

I don't know, maybe this book will read better in one sitting, but right now I'm finding it hard to care about anyone. Seriously, 20+ issues in and I feel like I hardly know who the main characters are and why I should care if they live or not. As it is, they're slightly better than cannon fodder in my eyes. Barely.

I know what you're thinking: "Matt, if you hate it so much, why don't you just stop buying it". And, you know, I would totally agree with you when it comes to any other book. However with only four issues left in the series, my pride won't let me drop it.

I'm with it until the end, hoping somehow, someway, the book'll get better. Lord knows it can't get much worse...




Surprise of the Week:

Avengers #6
Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: John Romita Jr.


Now here's something you don't see everyday: A satisfying conclusion to a Bendis story arc. I kid, I kid.

Mostly.

In all honesty, I went into this issue expecting the worst: A strangely quippy Ultron, A non-ending ending, lots of loose ends, etc. And what I got was completely the opposite.

Coming off the arrival of Ultron last issue, this one starts with Tony convincing the would be harbinger of the Robot Apocalypse to throw the fight with Kang. Meanwhile, we're shown the context of some of the flashforwards that appeared in the first few issues. And it was actually pretty cool. I mean, I still feel like this was a story that could have been told in four issues, but they did wrap it up rather nicely.

And wouldn't you know it, I'm actually excited to read the next few issues. Way to turn it around, Bendis!




Okay, enough with the comics. I have to go back to finishing my totally boss, fantastically amazing costume. I'll tell you all about it on Sunday, until then here's a hint of things to come.

How about you, how's your costume coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment