Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Bill January 06, 2010

Why didn't anyone tell me books came out yesterday? Here I was, hanging out like a chump, expecting everything to be a day late due to the holiday when it turned out not to be the case. Well, enough griping, let's get on with this thing! First Bill of 2011 AWAY!



Out With The Old:
Ant-Man and Wasp #3
Writer/Artist - Tim Seeley


This is one of those series that seemed just written for me: Obscure characters, fun action, and low continuity. It's a recipe for awesomeness... So, why is it a story where two shrinking men take on aliens, science terrorists, and talk about the nature of heaven fails to do anything for me?

Sigh.

I feel what happened here is that Tim Seeley bit off more story than he had space for. He introduces so many awesome elements that he doesn't have time to fully address half of them. I want to know what happens to Bill Foster, his heaven, the half-Sleepwalker alien, or any of the other big ideas that didn't seem to go anywhere.

It's almost as if Seeley had originally written a four part miniseries, but by the time it was ready to be published it was cut to three issues without cutting the content. It's like the reverse of what happens to Bendis, it' s just too much content for three issues.

That said, I really dug Seeley's take on Eric O'Grady and Hank Pym. If they made this a full series, I would absolutely pick it up. But then again, I'd probably be the only one...



In With The New:
Who is Jake Ellis #1
Writer: Nathan Edmondson
Artist: Tonci Zonjic


So I decided to try new books this year. Do my job as a responsible comics blogger, you know? New Year, new books or something. And boy, right out of the gate, I picked a great one.

I honestly didn't know much about this book going into it. I think I might have seen some rumblings about it over on Bleeding Cool, but for the most part nothing. Turns out, it's one of the best spy action book I've read... probably ever.

The story follows Jon Moore and his, we'll say, invisible friend Jake Ellis as they run from some shadowy organization. You know, typical stuff. The book is all kinds big action and non-stop fun, with just the right dash of humor to make it really jump off the page. It's truly outstanding, I can't recommend this book enough. You should go out of your way to buy this book, like yesterday.




Not a bad way to start off they year, right? Hell, even Young Avengers seemed rejuvenated with the new year. Here's hoping this'll set the tone for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment