Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Bill January 12, 2010

I came to the realization this week that almost all of the books I buy are coming to an end. Widowmaker, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, I Am An Avenger, and Dead Avengers (When did I become such a huge Avenger fan, I wonder...) are all over and done with (well almost with Widowmaker), leaving me with a significant hole in my weekly comic buying habit. What am I supposed to do with all this extra cash? Save it? Be serious.

Whatevs, let's get this show on the road. Because it's not a true Wednesday until I tell you what I think about the books I bought.




Saying Goodbye to Old Friends:

Thor: The Mighty Avengers #8
Writer: Roger Langridge
Artist: Chris Samnee


Of all the books ending this week, I'll miss this one the most. Thor The Mighty Avenger was, as I've said before, was probably the best Thor book I've ever read. It was personal, unencumbered by all that crazy Asgard stuff, and just down right fun.

The new issue was no different, although it did ring a bit hollow at the end. As the end of a story arc, it would have been okay but as an end to a series it was... wanting. I get it, the creators didn't have much lead time to craft a fitting finale, but I wish there was a bit more of an effort. Still, minor complaints of a fantastic book.

You'll be missed Thor The Mighty Avenger, but I'll make sure I sing your praises to all that listen whenever the opportunity arises.



Meet The New Weirdo:

The Infinite Vacation #1
Writer: Nick Spencer
Artist: Christian Ward


In another attempt to widen my comic horizons beyond 90s Marvel, I decided to pick up The Infinite Vacation this week. But unlike my venture last week, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. That's not to say it's bad, it's just... confusing.

The conceit of the series is technology has granted us access to the infinite possibilities of the universe that are available to purchase at the touch of a button. So all those bad decisions you made (like Never taking the chance with that one girl, that one last drink that made you throw up, or simply ordering the chicken when you should have gotten a steak) are instantly and easily undone if you have the cash to buy the opposite decision via this application.

Still with me? I don't know if I'm still with me.

See that's the thing, it's interesting but VERY dense. It's such a broad idea that I found myself asking more questions than I was getting answers for. What happens to the lives that are sold? What happens to your own life when you graft this new thing on? Why do you have to wear a name tag? Who would want to sell the good parts of their life? Questions on top of questions.

That's the thing though: I can't stop thinking about it. To me, that's a sign of something good, even if I can't quite crack what's going on in it yet. I'll give the next issue a chance, and we'll see what happens.



There you have it. Now, if you'd excuse me, I have some Sleepwalker back issues that need reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment