Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Bill March 16, 2011

Whoa.

I haven't a week this big in forever. Between old standbys shipping twice a month (I'm looking at'chu T-Bolts and A-Acad) and the start of this new big crossover, I felt like I was 13 again when I was leaving the store. Of course, that feeling might have been due to the plethora of 90s books I also bought, but whatever.

I read a bunch of comics, and I want to tell you what I thought about'em! Let's do it!




Getting Back In The Groove:

Avengers: The Children's Crusade - Young Avengers One-Shot (seriously?)
Writer: Allen Heinberg
Artist: Alan Davis


After months of shaky plot devices, questionable characterization, and a slower than molasses pace, I feel like I finally read an issue of Young Avengers that was written by the same guy who invented the characters. Not that the series has been totally horrible up until this point, it just wasn't as good as it could be. With this issue, I think Heinberg found his swagger again.

This issue would be more aptly titled "Iron Lad", as it's basically all back story on his surprise appearance last issue. Here, Iron Lad is about to kill Kang (AKA his older self, because you know, time travel) when a grown up collection of the Young Avengers stop him and Iron Lad zones out remembering their first adventure together. It's one of those neat examples of sliding new information into an already established continuity (also, it helps jibe the beginning of the first series with the timeline of the Marvel U proper).

Throughout the book I got exactly what I want from my Young Avengers: Some witty banter, a super villain fight, and a solid surprise at the end. It's great stuff that's helped reignite my passion for this series as a whole. Now, if only it would come out more often...



The Obligatory Review:

Book of The Skull
Writer: Ed Brubaker
Artist: Scott Eaton


In case you somehow missed it, Marvel's gearing up for another big crossover next month called 'Fear Itself'. As Marvel is wont to do, they've kicked things off with a one shot to help set the stage for the main event. And man, it's done it's job. I'm psyched.

The big thrust of this issue is just to set Sin, the Red Skull's disfigured daughter, down the path of her villainous destiny. She's looking to undo her father's greatest failure and from the rumors of what's to come, she might just succeed.

Well, you know, mores o than her father did. It's not like I think she's REALLY going to defeat the good guys.

There's not much more to say really, except that it's a solid set up issue. In the scheme of things, I liked it more than the Cabal one-shot that started off Siege, but not as much as The Illuminati one-shot that started Civil War. It belongs somewhere in the murky middle area, where I'm not sure I needed to read it to understand the coming crossover or not.

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks though...



_________________________________________

Big week or small, two books is my limit. I'm sure you don't want to hear me babble about my books, just as much as I don't want to write reviews for all of them. That said, if I'm mistaken and you DO want to hear me babble on about Hulk 30.1 just drop a comment; I'd be happy to oblige.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment