Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Bill March 23, 2011

Well all right.

I have a feeling I might have a few new readers after the amazingly awesome link-love from Mr. Wil Wheaton, and I hope you're ready for the most misnamed comic reviews on the web. I bought a whole slew of books this week, but I'm still only going to review two tonight. Care to join me?

Come on, I promise it'll be a fun time.




The Mandatory Review:

FF #1
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Steve Epting


This issue made me realize something: I don't like Jonathan Hickman. I mean, I like his ideas fine, and the pacing for this issue was great, but his stuff tends to lack... something that just really takes me out of the whole thing. And that's just the problem, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm honestly kind of irked at the shaky continuity going on between these pages. What can I say, it was VERY jarring to read that Reed and Nathaniel hadn't seen each other in decades when I know Nate hung around the family a ton in the early to mid 90s (not that anyone should go look at those issues because they're awful!). And don't even get me started on the weirdness going on with the crazy-ass, strangely-religious Wizard. But I'm not normally a big continuity nut, especially with a book like Fantastic Four, that it shouldn't matter that much.

Aside from that, the pacing's great - It would have taken Bendis five issues to tell the same story - the art is phenomenal, the ideas are fantastic (PUNS!), and it has the hint of all the emotionality I look for, but I just couldn't get interested.

On the one hand, I kinda want to give it another chance, but on the other I remember that's what got me in trouble with Secret Warriors. And we all know how that's going (hint: not well).




When Did This Happen:

Hulk # 31
Writer: Jeff Parker
Artist: Gabriel Hardman


I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden I have three consecutive issues of Hulk in my possession and worse... I really like them. What is going on?

I mean, I've always been more than intrigued by this brimson brute - and thoroughly enjoy the first six issues of the series as the pure insanity it's meant to be - but I never expected to be buying this series on a regular basis. After that great Impossible Man issue - Damn you CRAKKAJAMMA! for pointing it out! - the overly fabulous point one issue, and now this one, dare I say: I'm a full on fan.

Jeff Parker's turned this red hued behemoth from a goofy joke to a legitimately tragic, complex character. Together with Gabriel Hardman's appropriately gritty art, this book is a hit waiting to happen.

Unless it's already a hit.... but I kinda doubt it. Regardless, take my word for it: Give this book a try. It does what FF #1 wants to do, but failed: It's fun, it's emotional, and it's brimming with ideas. Time to make room on the bandwagon, because I'm jumping on.




And that's all I got for you this week, but I'm sure if you ask really nicely I can tell you what I thought of Power Man and Iron Fist. Maybe even the other book I have an indescribable affinity for, Uncanny X-Force. Or just stop by and say hi, you know, that's always nice too.

See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Um, the early 90s was decades ago. We're getting old...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god... you're right. When the hell did that happen?

    ReplyDelete