Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weekend Matinee: DEADFALL

It's Saturday Afternoon and if you're anything like me, you're desperately looking for something to fill that Nic Cage shaped hole in your heart. You're in luck then, because this week I have what is quite possibly the greatest Nic Cage movie ever: DEADFALL



And by 'greatest', I mean 'most bat-shit insane'

Straight up, this movie is a trip and a half. Directed by Christopher 'I now make wine for a living' Coppola and starring way too many well known actors (Michael Biehn, James Coburn, Charlie Sheen, and the aforementioned Nic Cage), it's that perfect blend of insanity, incoherence, and incompetence that make bad movies fun to watch. Honestly, it feels like a student film that someone got big names and a distribution deal for (I wonder how that happened...).

At it's heart, once you dig past all that flab, Deadfall is a throwback noir set in the early 90s. Kyle Reese is a con man, out looking to start a new life with his uncle after he accidentally shot his father in the chest. Fun filled craziness ensues.

The middle of the movie is where things really shine, when the whole thing becomes a showcase for Nic Cage and his antics. And while I was upset when he died around the hour mark (SPOILERS!), the movie did it's best to fill the void with a wanna-be Bond villain pawn broker, and Charlie Sheen as a tiger blood infused Pool Shark (or maybe a Pool Tiger...)



Finding a clip that accurately encapsulates what this movie is about is tough, especially when you don't want to ruin all the fun stuff. So, after lots of deep thought and hours of searching, I've decided on this: THE GREATEST NIC CAGE FLIP OUT EVER CAUGHT ON FILM!



Check it out on the Netflix streaming RIGHT NOW!

Hi-FUCKING-YAAAA! Indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never even heard of this! It sounds totally awesome though. I just put it at the top of my Netflix Instant Queue, so I'll probably watch it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete