Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Bill July 14, 2010

It was another light week for me this week, but I'm not going to let that stop me posting my thoughts for your perusal! Aren't you lucky! Let's get to it!




Best of the Week:
Avengers Academy # 2
Writer: Christos Gage
Artist: MIke Mckone



I'll be real honest with you, I was prepared to not collect this series. I kinda got roped into Avengers Initiative early on, and kept going for whatever reason, but when it ended, I thought it was my way out. I was totally ready to wash my hands clean of the "training young (but not Young) Avengers" books and find something new. And then they dropped the twist. Now I'm hooked.

Straight up, this is the book I wanted Avengers Initiative to be. It's a bunch of new and inexperienced heroes learning how to be actual superheroes, not just rank-and-file soldiers. And the twist, the twist just makes it sing.

SPOILERS for those of you who don't quite know yet, but as it turns out, these kids are poised to become the greatest super villains in the Marvel U if not correctly remolded at this age. And the kids know it! There's so much underlining tension to the book as the secrets pile on each other until eventually noone's being real. I'm loving it!

This issue got us into the head of the teams local know-it-all/super-woman Finesse as she learns about the personal politics of her teachers and uses that to her advantage. She's conniving, smart, and down right dangerous; I'm really excited to see where they take her.

It's a great book that's quickly rising to the top of my 'to read' list every month. I suggest you all go out and buy it so it doesn't get cancelled and I don't get sad. You wouldn't like me when I'm sad.




Disappointment of the Week:
Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour
Writer/Artist: Bryan Lee O'Malley


What's this doing here you ask? Shouldn't you love Scott Pilgrim with all of your heart? Haven't you even said so in the past?

All those things are overly true, which is why I was wholly disappointed when I went to my LCS to grab a copy, but they weren't allowed to sell it. "We got'em in," the guy behind the counter told me, "but we can't sell'em until next Wednesday. It's stupid."

Oh, how stupid it was. I was so super-jazzed about being all Scott Pilgrim'd tonight, I didn't even stop to think it wouldn't happen. But alas, here I am drowning my sorrows in cold pizza and Sierra Nevada.

At least Sierra Nevada will never disappoint me.

Meanwhile the countdown to book six starts now. Only six more days... sigh.



Bada-bing, we're done. Comments, questions, concerns, or compliments always welcome, and if you ask real nice I might tell you what I thought of Girl Comics # 3. Even if you're not real nice I might tell you. See y'all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment